Breast cancer, a most common cancer prevailing in women nowadays, has its medications available right out there. Lapatinib 250mg Tablet is one of the most effective medications among many of those. Lapatinib is a tyrosine-kinase inhibitor belonging to a class of medication called antineoplastic (cancer medicines). It is a small molecule that is a dual inhibitor of both HER2 and EGF receptors.
- This medication is used in combination with capecitabine to treat HER2-positive metastatic (cancer that has already spread) breast cancer in women who already have chemotherapy and trastuzumab(Herceptin).
- This is also used in combination with letrozole to treat hormone-receptor-positive and HER2-receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- The combination of this medication along with chemotherapy, hormone therapy, or trastuzumab may increase progression-free survival.
The dosage of lapatinib 250mg tablet depends on the condition of each patient and the response your system is giving to the drug. Usually, the medication should be taken once daily before or after 1 hour of meal or as directed by your doctor. The dosage should not be altered without the required prescription from the doctor as it may cause side effects. It is a long-term treatment so do not stop taking the medication until and unless said by your concerned doctor.
- Common side effects of lapatinib are indigestion, loss of appetite, diarrhea, skin rashes, itching, redness of hands and feet, weakness, sore throat, nosebleeds, headache, etc.
- Severe side effects include fatal liver problems (itching, dark urine, upper stomach pain, jaundice), allergic reactions (face or throat swelling, difficulty in breathing, etc.), severe skin reactions (sore throat, fever, burning eyes, skin pain, rashes, etc.).
Report to the doctor immediately if you are facing any of these effects and do the required medication as possible.
- Inform your doctor prior if you have heart disease, liver disease, long QT syndrome, or electrolyte imbalance because the medication can cause severe side effects.
- Pregnancy cannot be planned while taking this medication, so both men and women must follow birth-control measures.
- Breastfeeding should be avoided while taking this medication because the drug can be passed on to the child through the milk.
- Grapefruit eating or drinking its juice should be avoided while taking this medication as it can increase the amount of certain medication in your bloodstream.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medication, as it can interfere with the working of lapatinib tablets.
Follow the doctor’s prescription and instructions carefully and report, if facing any problem immediately.